South Terminal Complex
South Terminal Complex
Orlando International Airport, Orlando, FL
In 2016, the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority (GOAA) reestablished the South Terminal Complex Program at the Orlando International Airport to accommodate their booming growth and popularity as a commercial service airport in Central Florida. Based on extensive AVCON experiences on many elements of their previous terminal designs, our firm was engaged to serve on multiple roles of the overall program under a master architectural team. The new terminal was completed in early Fall of 2022, which complemented the Automatic People Mover (APM) Complex project completed in 2019 by AVCON, HKS Architects, and Atkins. The APM Complex project was awarded the ACEC Engineering Excellence Grand Conceptor Award. Check out the details of this project and award here.
AVCON provided direct support for the following packages of work below on the South Terminal Complex (STC).
Airfield Civil Grading and Drainage:
- Geometric layouts and design of the structural elements for major box culverts and large junction boxes to which the surface drainage components were connected.
Airfield Civil Paving and Lighting:
- Design of airfield paving and lighting elements along with general site access, staging and laydown areas. This included Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) pavement design and jointing plans, airfield markings, all airfield lighting and signage, updating existing vault controls to accommodate new construction, and the design of an apron high mast lighting system with new LED fixtures.
Landside Site Utilities and Balance of Sitework:
- Work encompassed circulation roadways for public and service vehicles, roadway lighting, primary and emergency power supply, fiber optic backbone, water supply, and sanitary sewer service to support the new Landside Terminal.
FDOT Bridge and MSE Walls:
- Design services for portions of the elevated enplane and deplane roadways were provided. The work included all facets of design for multiple MSE wall systems, integration of the MSE wall with the enplane and deplane roadway bridges, enplane and deplane roadway handrail lighting, and integration.
- Complete site design of the primary duct bank system to interconnect the public OUC utilities with all elements of the STC campus.
- Design of Airside Concourse elements like exterior lighting of the building and design of the primary and emergency backup power distribution to the building’s primary switchgear.
- Exterior lighting work included considerable interface with the architectural elements of the building, including the prominent Prow feature, a signature element of the design. The exterior perimeter lighting also included the airside building soffit lighting. Coordination of transformers with multiple landside and airside ramp front activities required considerable effort.
Parking Facility Structure and Systems:
- Structural design elements of the parking garage included foundation and slab on grade design of the first level as well as complete electrical and low voltage design services. The new 2,200-car facility includes five levels of parking connected to the previously completed STC APM parking garage to serve the STC campus.
Site Logistics Relocation:
- Composition of the complete fiber optic backbone for the 80+ acre Site Logistics Compound serving the STC program, including a complete duct bank and distribution of fiber to over 40 office trailers and design of a new Minimum Point of Entry (MPOE) building.